Saturday, June 18, 2011

Women's Bible Study

Earlier this year, I mentioned to the pastor of our church that I was interested in starting a Bible Study for some of the young women in our church.  He excitedly told me that there were some other women in the church who had approached him with the same idea.  The next Sunday all the women in the church sat down and put our ideas together.  I found out that the rest of the women were learning more towards having a Bible study for the women in our church, not the youth.  I was willing to go with the flow.  We found a time that worked for the majority of the women and planned our first meeting.  In preparation for our first meeting I found a Bible study book in Creole, and asked Pastor Delfils to give me some feedback.  The first Tuesday we met, I was ready.  No sooner had the meeting started was I quickly informed that in Haiti women's groups were quite likely different in Haiti than in Canada.  I smiled and informed the ladies that I was willing to follow whatever format they had planned.  I quickly discovered that this was going to be more of a women's group than a Bible Study, before we could begin there were five positions that had to be filled ... present, vice-president etc.  Unfortunately we couldn't find enough women willing to fill the various roles.  After a moment of silence I was asked what my thoughts were, never shy in this department  I told them that in Canada women's Bible studies simply studied the Bible and I shared with them the book that I had brought.  They were skeptical but willing to try it out until we had enough women to fill the five positions.  Despite being very intimidated, I even agreed to lead the first lesson.  Many months have passed since this first meeting, and we are still studying the same book.  The women love the book and take turns leading the meetings.  The meetings have been a great time of fellowship, studying God's word, praying together and getting to know each other outside of the church setting.  I look forward to these meetings and have loved getting to know these strong, kind and loving women.  As last week was the last week that both Karen and I will be able to attend together, we took a group picture.
I will miss these wonderful women!!

1 comment:

Lisa and Steve said...

I enjoyed your story of how everyone expected five rolls to be filled before they could begin. I live in India where things are truly inefficient, so I understand.